After the end of the festivities of St. Blaise work has intensified on the restoration of Great Onofrio Fountain in the heart of the Old City of Dubrovnik. The investor in the project, worth around 1.5 million Kunas, is the Society of Friends of Dubrovnik Antiquities. In agreement with the city administration the works are being performed by the company Quelin Civil Engineering.
With the refurbishment of the stone sculptures, restoration will, according to the society’s secretary, Niko Kapetanic, include a new solution for the water fountain. It also planned to return stone figures of dogs that up to the end of the 19th century adorned the fountain.
For tourists wishing to learn more about the history and importance of the fountain a information board with photos will also be installed.
The Great Onofrio Fountain, the work of Neapolitan artist Onofrio della Cava, was built in 1438, and brought water to the city from springs 12 kilometres away.