According to data from the Croatian Chamber of Commerce (HGK), almost 90,000 households in Croatia live from the tourism industry.
In 2017, the number of accommodation units in Croatia was slightly more than a million beds in commercial accommodation, out of which 56,7 percent was in households, 21,5 percent in camps, whilst hotels accounted for 12 percent.
In comparison to 2016, this data shows that last year the number of tourist beds increased by 7,2 percent or 72,200, whilst the number of accommodation facilities increased for 2,200 and the number of accommodation units (rooms and apartments) for 35,200.
By the type of commercial accommodation units, households, camps and hotels accounted for almost 90 percent out of the total tourist beds, whilst other types of accommodation (boarding houses, hostels, spas, lodgings, mountain huts etc.) accounted for the remaining 10 percent.
Furthermore, last year almost 90,000 households were registered for tourist accommodation services or 17 percent more in comparison to 2016, whilst the number of beds in this type of accommodation rose by 12,3 percent to 605,000.
In 2017, the share of households in the total number of tourist beds was 56,7 percent, which is an increase in comparison to 2016 when it was 54,2 percent.
In addition, last year households achieved the highest number of overnight stays out of the total 86,2 million overnight stays in commercial accommodation i.e. almost 41 million overnight stays or 15 percent more compared to 2016. Hotels accounted for 19,6 million (+6,7%), whilst camps accounted for 18,2 million overnight stays or 9 percent more compared to 2016.