The festive season is just around the corner and preparations for Christmas and New Year in Dubrovnik are in full swing. And once again, for the fourth year in a row, the city will hold its Dubrovnik Winter Festival. This year’s festival starts on the 2nd of December and will last until the 6th of January. With festive stands dotted around the city serving everything from mulled wine to Christmas meals. And at the opening of the Dubrovnik Winter Festival the Christmas lights will be officially turned on by pop star Gibonni and also the first advent candle will be lit.
On the 8th of December the Christmas program continues with a concert by Croatian pop singer Jacques Houdek in front of the St. Blaise Church at 9.00pm. And then the day after, the 9th of December, the tenth annual “cake party” will be held at 10.00am on the Stradun in the heart of the Old City.
The Dubrovnik Tourist Board will organise a “Christmas Fairy Tale” on the 16th of December at 11.00am where a special event for children, including a visit from Father Christmas, will be held, and a 9.00pm that evening the band Pavel will perform.
The Dubrovnik Symphony Orchestra will hold a Christmas concert in the Hotel Lacroma on the 22nd of December at 8.00 pm along with various special guests for an evening of Christmas carols and festive fun. And then on the 23rd of December at 5.30 pm the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dubrovnik will stage a live Nativity scene on the Stradun, while at 9.00 pm Marko Tolja Septet will perform in front of the Church of St. Blaise.
Christmas Eve is a busy day of events in the city starting at midday with a performance of folklore by the Dubrovnik folklore ensemble Lindo, along with the Libertas Choir and the Dubrovnik Brass Band.
On the 30th of December at 9.00 pm the quartet The Frajle will hold a concert. And then on New Year’s Eve a massive party on the Stradun featuring numerous pop singers and bands and a spectacular fireworks display as the clock strikes midnight.
With the first day of New Year the Dubrovnik Symphony Orchestra will hold their traditional concert at midday on the Stardun and then the starting pistol fires at 2.00 pm to begin the New Year 10K run.
THE DUBROVNIK WINTER FESTIVAL PROGRAMME
• 2nd Dec, Saturday at 9PM, in front of the Church of St Blaise GIBONNI + turning on the holiday lights and lighting the first Advent candle
• 8th Dec, Friday at 9PM, in front of the Church of St Blaise JACQUES HOUDEK - Mr. Voice sings for you
• 9th Dec, Saturday at 9PM, in front of the Church of St Blaise MASSIMO
• 16th Dec, Saturday at 9PM, in front of the Church of St Blaise PAVEL
• 22nd Dec, Friday at 8PM, Hotel Lacroma CHRISTMAS CONCERT Dubrovnik Symphony Orchestra Stijepo Gleđ Markos, Tenor Đani Stipaničev, Tenor Marija Kuhar Šoša, Mezzo-soprano Klapa Ragusa Klapa Subrenum Klapa Kaše
• 23rd Dec, Saturday at 9PM, in front of the Church of St Blaise MARKO TOLJA SEPTET
NEW YEAR CELEBRATION
• 30th Dec, Saturday, at 9PM, in front of the Church of St Blaise THE FRAJLE
• 31st Dec, Sunday, at noon, in front of the Church of St Blaise CHILDREN'S NEW YEAR'S EVE PARTY
• 31st Dec, Sunday, at 9PM, in front of the Church of St Blaise - NEW YEAR'S EVE CELEBRATION PRAVILA IGRE DINO MERLIN SONGKILLERS
• 1st Jan, Monday, at noon, in front of the Church of St Blaise
Dubrovnik Symphony Orchestra Oysters and sparkling wine on Stradun
• ***2nd Dec until 6th Jan, Brsalje, Gundulić Square and Prijeko Live music at the weekend
THE TOURIST BOARD PROGRAMME
• 9th Dec, at 11AM, in front of the Church of St Blaise Cake party
• 16th Dec, at 11AM, in front of the Church of St Blaise • Christmas Tale
• 23rd Dec, at 5.30PM, Stradun Live nativity scene on Stradun (Organized by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dubrovnik)
• 31st Dec, Lazareti New Year in Lazareti (organized by Lacroma LLC)
• 1st Jan, 2PM, Stradun New Year's Race (organized by the Extempora Association)
• ***04th Nov – 24th March 11.30AM Saturday Morning in the Old City – Performance by the Folklore Ensemble Linđo, every Saturday in the above mentioned period (performance are cancelled in case of rain) 10AM Pile – free guided tour of the Old City – tours are in English; starting point in front of the Tourist Information Centre