As summer is on the doorstep more and more tourists are arriving in Croatia and hundreds of thousands, it not millions, will enjoy the unspoilt nature that the country has to offer. Whether hiking in a National park, climbing mountains or just generally having fun in the wilds. The Croatian Mountain Rescue Service is often on the front line when things don’t go to plan. They are called out on numerous occasions throughout the year to save hikers and climbers who have found themselves in life threatening situations.
The Croatian Mountain Rescue Service is a volunteer, not-for-profit and public organization which was established in 1950. They operate 24 hours a day 365 days a year often in hazardous and challenging locations.
On the eve of the busy summer season the Croatian Mountain Rescue Service has released as letter of warning and advice to tourists. Please read it and follow their advice! Here is the letter in full and you have to admire their humour, with a touch of Trump, Ghostbusters and selfies.
Dear tourists, Welcome to Croatia
We are the Croatian Mountain Rescue Service (CMRS). Google it. You might need us. We hope not.
During your visit here, especially if you prefer to spend your time in nature (and in Croatia we do have that, big time! And it is great! Huge! Greatest ever!) we would like you to pay attention to a few things as it follows.
• The air is clean, the sky is blue, the sea is great, mountains are high and then you get lost. Who you gonna call? 112 (emergency number in Croatia) and not GhostBusters.
• As much as we appreciate you and we hope that you do it yourself, please do not overestimate your skills. Doing so usually starts the “shit hit the fan” situation and then we end up driving you home. Sounds like a love song, but it is not. We'd prefer that you enjoy your holidays without us.
• The moment you put your flip-flops on your feet, hiking mode is off. Trust us on this one.
• If you are going hiking, please make sure your mobile is fully charged and do not waste it unnecessarily. You can tweet about what you saw when you come safely back to the Point of your departure.
• Water means life. Hydrate. Think about it.
• Doing selfies on the edge of the cliff can be the last thing you did before you figure out that a fall is a flight as well. Please, you do look great but go easy on those selfies. You do not need them that much.
• If you think that you might be in trouble out there on the mountain or in any other part of Croatia, you probably are. Do not hesitate to ask for help. Our ERS (Emergency Respond Units) such as CMRS will help you. But, the thing is, we are not mind readers. We tried, and it is not working. So, use your phone when in trouble. #112. Remember!
• Google Bura. Seriously. Google it.
Have a great stay in Croatia. And stay safe so you can come back next year. Yours sincerely, CMRS